'One Question' Series: An interview series with leaders from across the media and tech sectors
Subscribe to our newsletter. Enter your details below.
Join Jules McKeen, Partner and Global Head of the Media Practice at Odgers Berndtson as she talks one-on-one to leaders across the media and tech landscape. Her seasonal One Question series covers upcoming trends, industry predictions and key insights in this intimate vidcast.
With the question changing each season, these ten-minute bite-sized videos offer insights from leaders from across the transmedia landscape globally. The result is a wide range of responses and a deep insight into the media and tech landscape, as well as a unique shifting focus across the period of the Covid 19 pandemic.
Below, we have featured one of our guests from each of the series so far, with links to the full video series, scroll down to watch now.
View the series below:
Winter 2022/2023 Series: How is our industry preparing for the upcoming, unpredictable market conditions we might face?
In this episode: Rory Sutherland, Vice Chairman at Ogilvy UK
Rory Sutherland is the Vice Chairman of Ogilvy, where he has worked since 1988. This attractively vague job title has allowed him to form a behavioural science practice within the agency dedicated to uncovering the hidden business and social possibilities which emerge when you apply creative minds to the latest thinking in psychology and behavioural science. He is the author of three books: The Wiki Man, the best-selling Alchemy - The surprising Power of Ideas which don't make Sense, published in the UK and US in May 2019, and, co-written with his former colleague Pete Dyson, the newly released Transport For Humans on the behavioural science of transport.
Other speakers in the Winter 2022/2023 Series Include:
- Deborah Williams OBE
- Dan Fahy, SVP, Streaming, UK at Paramount Global
- Theresa Wise, CEO, Royal Television Society
- Andrew Buckman, Vice President at Azerion
- Alex Michael, Managing Director, LionTree Growth
- Katie Prescott, Technology Business Editor of The Times
Spring 2022 Series: What are your predictions for the key trends in the industry this year?
In this episode: Joerg Bachmaier, Executive Producer and US Strategic Advisor, MediaXchange
An entertainment expert, Joerg strategically advises MediaXchange on all aspects of the US film, tv, streaming and gaming business. A producer of digital, gaming and traditional TV/Film content, Joerg steers development, financing, production, and distribution across global platforms.
He drives the success of highly-acclaimed premium content, fan-centric franchise development for existing or new IP, innovative 5G mobile, interactive and streaming content (Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon).
Other speakers in the Spring 2022 Series Include:
- Tricia Biggio, CEO at Invisible Universe
- Giorgio Stock, formerly President at WarnerMedia EMEA & APAC
- Kate Bulkley, Media Commentor and Presenter
- Jackie Cooper, Global Chief Brand Officer at Edelman
- Nathalie Lethbridge, Founder of Atonik Digital
Autumn/Winter 2021 Series: What does the next generation of media leader look like?
In this episode: Dawn Airey – Non-Executive Director, Blackbird plc.
Dawn is a veteran of the media industry, having worked in television for 30 years, holding senior positions with the majority of the United Kingdom’s commercial broadcasters. CEO of Getty Image between 2015-2018 and continues her role on the board there today. In 2019, Dawn joined the Board of Blackbird as a Non-Executive Director.
Dawn has held leadership positions at many major UK media companies, including President of a unit of RTL Group, Channel 5’s parent company, and Chairwoman and Chief Executive of Channel 5, where she oversaw all operations. She also worked as Managing Director of Global Content at ITV where she oversaw its UK and international production and content businesses. Prior to that, she served as Managing Director, Channels and Services, at BSkyB, the UK’s largest pay-TV broadcaster.
Other speakers in the Autumn 2021 Series Include:
- Jem Lloyd-Williams, CEO at Mindshare UK
- Maria Kyriacou, President AUS, Israel & UK at ViacomCBS Networks Intl.
- Helen James, Managing Director at Crispin Porter + Bogusky
- Hugh Chambers, CEO at Motorsport UK
Summer 2021 Series: In twelve months' time, what is our industry going to be talking about?
In this episode: Tom Morton, Global Chief Strategy Officer at R/GA
As Global Chief Strategy Officer, Tom helps brands and businesses to thrive in the connected world. He now jointly leads the discipline across all US offices and helms the Strat Pack, a collective of over 100 marketing scientists, strategists, and connections planners whose collaboration sparks new insights and unlocks new directions for brands.
Tom has advised businesses as diverse as Samsung, Verizon, ESPN, PepsiCo, Google, Virgin, Sony, and the Museum of Modern Art. He has earned gold Effie Awards and IPA Effectiveness Awards, and served as a judge for both. He is also a jury chair for the 4As Jay Chiat strategy awards. Tom sits on the advisory board of Wharton Business School’s Future of Advertising Program.
Other speakers in the Summer 2021 Series Include:
- Maria Purcell, Head of SMB & MidMarket Sales EMEA & AUS at Reddit
- Josh Krichefski, Global COO & EMEA CEO at MediaCom
- Sarah Scholefield, Global CEO at Grayling
Spring 2021 Series: What (if anything) do you think our industry has learned from the pandemic?
In this episode: Jane Turton, CEO of All3Media
Jane was appointed CEO of All3Media in 2015, following the acquisition of the business by Discovery Communications and Liberty Global. She is responsible for setting and implementing the businesses’ global strategy and driving growth both organically and through acquisition in the UK and internationally. She has built the company into an international network of more than 30 award winning independent production, distribution and digital media companies, producing content for broadcasters and digital platforms globally.
Other speakers in the Spring 2021 Series Include:
- Patrick Younge, Co-MD of Cardiff Productions Ltd.
- Albert Read, Managing Director of Condé Nast Britain
- James Gibbons EVP, GM UK & Nordics of Discovery Inc
- Mark Inskip, CEO UK&I of Kantar Media
- Stuart Baxter, President, International Television at Entertainment One
- Claire Valoti, VP International at Snap, Inc.
- James Kirkham, Chief Business Officer at Defected Records
- Kate Waters, Director of Client Strategy and Planning at ITV
- Luke Southern, Chief Executive Officer at DRUM
- Adah Parris, Chair of Mental Health First Aid England
- Marcus Orme, Chief Executive Officer at Medialab Group
- Peter Fule, Senior Vice President Marketing, HBO Europe
Winter 2020 Series: What are you optimistic about for 2021 in your Industry?
In this episode: Enyi Nwosu, Chief Strategy Officer for Universal McCann.
With a 25+ year career, he’s worked with some of the best-known creative media agencies on some of the best-known brands: General Motors, Loreal, Condé Nast, Ralph Lauren, Unilever and more. At Universal McCann Enyi leads a team of content creators and producers who are embedded within the strategy team to enable him to bring ideas to life quickly for clients.
Other speakers in the Winter 2020 Series Include:
- Jemima Villanueva, Executive Director EMEA, The Atlantic
- Swag Mukerji, CEO Centaur Plc
- Timo Armoo, Founder, Fanbytes
- Sam Phillips, Founder and CEO, Representnation
- Leonardo Metelli, Agency Development, Snapchat
- Gill Hardy, Head of Executive Talent EMEA, WPP
- Kemdi Ebi, Co-Founder & CEO, EnterFive Inc.
To find out more about this series, or start up a conversation with Julie please get in touch.
Stay up to date: Sign up here to our newsletter and receive the latest news in leadership and top talent, industry insights and events directly to your inbox.