08 Mar 2019
Finding a balance for better: an interview with Julia Gillard
Subscribe to our newsletter. Enter your details below.
Watch our interview with the former PM of Australia as she guest-edits our Observe global magazine that focuses on ‘Women, diversity and the path to greater inclusion’.
"When I was growing up in a very ordinary migrant family, becoming Prime Minister seemed as likely as going to the moon as an astronaut. Normal people didn’t do that."
After her journey to the top of politics to become the first female Prime Minister of Australia, we sat down to get her reflections on the current gender landscape, the state of women’s leadership and where we go next in the quest for a ‘balance for better’, the theme of International Women’s Day.
In a wide-ranging interview, recorded to coincide with International Women’s Day and its theme of #BalanceforBetter, we ask Julia Gillard for her thoughts on a number of questions:
- Why is a gender-balanced workplace better for everyone?
- How can the people at the top – the board, the CEO, others in the C-suite – make the difference?
- Is there a role for quotas?
- Why do properly-qualified women still lose out to male candidates?
- Is there a role for men in the advancement of women?
- Can diversity lead to inclusion or does inclusion lead to diversity
- What is the most positive change you have seen, and what is the area where you think the most work remains to be done?
- What’s the one piece of advice you would give to a younger Julia Gillard?
To download a copy of OBSERVE 16, the Odgers Berndtson global magazine, guest-edited by Julia Gillard, click below.