Spotlight on #GoodmanSpirit: Five questions about CEO x 1 Day
Brock University's Goodman School of Business’ website interviews finalist Jingwen Luo.
On February 24, 2014, Jingwen Luo spent the day getting a taste of what it is like to be a CEO. She spent the day shadowing one of Canada’s top CEOs: Patrick Nangle of Purolator Canada.
Jing, a fourth year BBA co-op student was one of only seven Ontario University students selected to shadow a top Canadian executive through Odgers Berndston CEO x 1 Day program.
1. The selection process for the CEO x 1 Day program started in October- but you only found out you were selected in January. What was going through your mind during the selection process?
I actually didn’t have that much of an expectation of being selected when I first applied since the selection process was very long and complicated. So I didn’t prepare anything until I was asked to go to Toronto for the last half day event. I realized then that I actually had a shot. Then I was preparing myself with case studies and interviews.
2. How did you feel when you found out you were selected? Did you find out which CEO you would be partnered with right away?
I was in China to visit family when I found out the news. I remembered I had woken up in the middle of the night and had just checked my phone. Then I saw the email informing me that I was selected. I was very excited because I actually postponed my flight for a week just for this event. So I called Odgers Berndston to confirm right away and I shared the news with my family.
3. You got to spend the day with Purolator Canada’s CEO, Patrick Nangle, touring Purolator’s offices – what did you do during the day?
We started the day at 7 a.m. with a site tour. It was very exciting to see the actual process of packaging, sorting, truck loading, etc. Then he drove me back to the office. We had an executive meeting about the company’s strategy and project updates. Then we went to have lunch with a few employees randomly chosen from the office. In the afternoon, we had a monthly leadership call. He had me talk in front of his 70 directors and above. It was the highlight of the day.
4. What new insights did you gain after spending your day with Nangle?
I got to ask him questions the entire time. I really like his leadership style. He is very approachable and has great people skills. I can see people are very happy under his leadership.
5. The CEO x 1 Day program is not only about giving you face time with a prominent executive. The CEO also gets the chance to gain insight into what drives the next generation of business leaders. What tips did you give Nangle?
Yes, he asked me how the company could attract young professionals. I recommended co-op programs and new grad programs to him as I truly believe they are very beneficial to university students. As a recent grad myself, I would like to go to a company which has a job program that continually helps me grow. And in the end, that’s what he did. He hired me and started a new grad job rotation program in the company.