26 Nov 2019
Why leadership assessments build better leaders and organisations
Subscribe to our newsletter. Enter your details below.
When organisations and individuals want objective insights into leadership strengths, gaps and potential, a reliable, scientifically-based assessment can be a helpful spotlight.
It is a simple truth. Successful organisations are strongly linked with successful leaders.
So it goes without saying that identifying those leaders and ensuring they reach their full potential is vital.
That is where a reliable, scientifically-sound leadership assessment can be of value. It will help hiring managers to determine whether a prospective executive hire has the leadership competences the company is looking for. And assessments can be used for leadership development of people within the organization too.
If done correctly, the process can accurately pinpoint their competences, skills gaps, or possible leadership derailers that might emerge under stress, as well as the important cultural fit between potential and present leaders.
LeaderFit Report - Execution Savvy – Example Extract
When is leadership assessment a good idea?
Since leadership assessment can help you identify the qualities your organisation wishes to see in the next hire, this process is traditionally used during the selection phase.
However, it can also be applied at all levels where there is a transition:
- Assessing and selecting internal/external final candidates at executive and board level
- On-boarding of executives and board members in their new role
- Off-boarding of executives and board members
- Starting a coaching or development cycle for an executive
- Assessing and developing top talent
- Executive and board level team-building
- Management team due diligence review
- Executive succession planning
- Individual career path planning.
What are the benefits of leadership assessment for businesses?
Skilled and benchmarked leadership assessment delivers a number of benefits:
- Confident decision-making built on independent, measurable results.
- Sound selection decisions based on measured reputation which predicts future performance.
- Clarity, perspective and objectivity when assessing leadership talent using global benchmarks.
- Motivated leaders with a clear sense of direction that is in line with required business culture.
- Longer-term leadership development planning to ensure future success.
Why a leadership assessment is good for individual leaders too.
If you are a leader, there are good reasons why you should be excited by a leadership assessment too.
To begin with, careers are based on reputation. How you are perceived by others will definitely influence your career development. Since leadership assessment is not a self-assessment test, but a perception report, you’ll get to know how you are perceived by others, compared to a global business norm.
This level of honest self-knowledge is step one on the leadership ladder since you need to be able to manage and lead yourself, before leading others. Think about it, are you fully aware of how you are observed by others?
LeaderFit Report - People and Team Development – Example Extract
What are the most valuable leadership assessment tools?
When assessing internal or external candidates, the exercise yields information that provides organisations with a better insight into strengths and areas for further development per individual.
At Odgers Berndtson, our expert team members are qualified in the most advanced methodologies, including the Hogan psychometric tools linked to our proprietary LeaderFit model. This allows us to map leadership competencies in five dimensions:
- Resilience and adaptability
- Strategic clarity
- Execution savvy
- Stakeholder management
- People and team development
After a LeaderFit assessment, an extensive report (often up to 15 pages) is produced and discussed with the participant, as well as with the organisation. Ideally, the LeaderFit model can be mapped to an organisation’s leadership competency map if required.
If required, other leadership development tools and practices can be brought into play. For example, managing succession planning or supporting executive development with coaching, either on an individual, team, board or CFO-specific level.
LeaderFit Report - Likelihood of Effective Competency Performance – Example Extract
If you wish to find out more about any aspect of leadership assessment or if you have any questions about Odgers Berndtson’s Leaderfit model, please contact me.